Local News Banner
Home  //  News  //  snakes perish in fire, Others survive
  • Register
Sunday January 26, 2020
Print
Email

snakes perish in fire, Others survive

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 12:18 PM
Written by Stan Maddux
Category: Local News


Three snakes died while three others survived a house fire in LaPorte on Monday.

Firefighters before 3 p.m. responded to 1107 Woodward St.

LaPorte Fire Chief Andy Snyder said five of the snakes inside aquariums were in an upstairs apartment.

Snyder said another snake was on the floor after the glass in the aquarium it was in shattered from the heat of the flames.

The tenants of the upstairs apartment were not home at the time, he said.

Snyder said the fire was reported by the downstairs apartment tenants who escaped safely.

He said the cause of the fire was believed to be electrical from a source inside the walls between the downstairs and upstairs apartment.

Snyder said there was no major structure damage.

Most of the damage was from tearing into ceiling tiles and wall to reach the flames.

The surviving snakes were taken to Pet Supplies Plus along Indiana 2 on the city's west side.

Assistant store leader Shaun Snyder said the snakes were given a bath to remove soot covering their bodies and placed inside heated aquariums in the store.

He said the snakes will be taken to a veterinarian to be treated for what appeared to be minor burns.

''They look in really good shape for what they had to go through,'' he said.

The owner will be given back the snakes if he comes to the store to get them, he said.

Login

Register

*
*
*
*
*
*

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.